Thursday, February 15, 2007

Phoenix Rising from the Ashes

As a sales executive, one always wonders when the next major payday comes along. Sometimes, there are dry spells. The lack of deals can often be rather stressful, and makes one re-evaluate one's strategies and goals.

It's been 6 weeks since I joined the new company. I had left my previous employment (also in sales), due to a number of factors which had made me feel completely disillusioned and demoralised. Changing jobs can be both terrifying and exhilarating. But it sure beats that dreadful feeling going in to a workplace that you hate and wishing the day were over before it even begins. That's a sure sign that it's time to move on.

I began my foray into the sales world barely 7 months ago. The first couple of months were intensely challenging, but highly motivating. Team morale was high, due to a record sales quarter. Even though the paychecks weren't as high as expected, I stuck with it, in the anticipation of future potential earnings. But 5 months in, these monetary returns were nowhere to be seen. Truth be told, only a handful of people were succeeding, fanning the flames of jealousy and rumours that is the norm of office politics.

I went into the business starting with a blank slate, but left... feeling used and unappreciated. Though I've only just been with the new company for a short span of time, it doesn't feel that way here. It's a new beginning, but with the experiences from the previous workplace still clear in my mind, the path ahead is not so frightful.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home